- This event has passed.
Food Safety & Meat Microbiology School
September 13, 2022 @ 8:00 am - September 15, 2022 @ 4:45 pm CDT$1,150
9/13/22 – 9/15/22: Food Safety & Meat Microbiology School (Maximum Registrations Limit Reached)
Food Safety & Meat Microbiology School
Date: September 13, 2022 at 8:00 am to September 15, 2022 until 4:45 pm
**REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR THIS SCHOOL**
About the Food Safety & Meat Microbiology School:
This short course (aka. school) takes a comprehensive approach to understanding food safety of raw and further processed meat and poultry products. Collaboratively organized and led by the UW Food Research Institute and the Meat Science & Animal Biologics Discovery programs, attendees will learn from industry and academia experts about pertinent topics impacting your food safety systems and the safety of your meat and poultry products. Topics will include microbiology, sanitation programs, facility design, thermal processing & ingredients / new technologies, to name a few. Demonstrations and microbiology lab exercises will take place at the UW Meat Science & Animal Biologics Discovery building to expand microbiological skills, sampling techniques, plant / equipment sanitary design, product bacterial contamination prevention & control concepts. Meat industry participants from every level of experience can benefit from this program with content focused on those interested in, or currently involved in, food safety. Make plans now to take the safety of your products, processes, and programs to the next level!
With the enrollment in this short course is limited to 55, you will have ample opportunity to have your questions answered directly by the speakers and staff.
Topics Covered (classroom and hands-on laboratory exercises):
- History of Food Safety in the Meat Industry
- Understanding Microbiology in Meat Processing: Pathogens
- Understanding Microbiology in Meat Processing: Production & Process
- Rapid Methods for Microbiology
- Pre- and Post-Food Safety Considerations, Challenges & Opportunities
- Gram Positive Pathogens in the Meat Industry
- Gram Negative Pathogens in the Meat Industry
- Spoilage Bacteria, Yeasts, and Molds in the Meat Industry
- Developing a Company Wide Food Safety Culture
- Foodborne Illness Outbreaks & Investigations
- Developing an Effective Food Safety Recordkeeping System
- Thermal Processing to Control Microorganisms; Microbial Modeling / Determining Process Lethality / Stabilization
- Ingredients with Antimicrobial Impact Commonly Used in the Meat Industry
- Validation of Food Safety Systems
- Environmental Sampling Programs
- Developing Effective Food Safety Systems (including regulations)
- Two Separate Laboratory Sessions covering Microbiology Methods, Meat Processing, Sanitation, and Shelf-life
Daily: A light continental breakfast, break items, lunches, and refreshments will be provided all three days.
Evening Receptions: A social and “Wisconsin” picnic on Wednesday evening on the UW-Madison campus.
Course Location and Transportation:
The Food Safety & Meat Microbiology School will be held at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Meat Science & Animal Biologics Discovery (MSABD) building, located at 1933 Observatory Drive, Madison, WI 53706.
A shuttle service will be provided from the DoubleTree Hotel to the MSABD building at 7:15 am each day. If you will be staying at a hotel other than the DoubleTree Hotel, it will be your responsibility to meet the shuttle departing from the DoubleTree each morning at 7:15 am
In addition to the shuttle, nearby parking is also available in Lot 67 (2002 Linden Drive) or Lot 36 (1645 Observatory Drive). Rates are $1 per 30 minutes for the first 3 hours, and $1/hour thereafter. The maximum rate for the day is $15.
For additional information about parking, visit this map which shows the location of the Meat Science & Animal Biologics Discovery building.
The registration fee is $850 for FRI sponsors and $1,150 for all others. Please be sure to select the appropriate payment level when registering.
Registration includes course materials & handouts, breaks & lunches, refreshments, the Wednesday evening reception and picnic, and local transportation between the DoubleTree hotel and the MSABD building. Lodging, parking, and other meals are not included.
Registration deadline is Friday, September 2, 2022 – **REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR THIS SCHOOL**
(0.8 miles from MSABD)
525 West Johnson Street
Phone: (608) 251-5511 (indicate you are attending the Food Safety & Meat Microbiology School)
Online Booking Link to receive a rate of $159/night
Room block with the special group rate will be in place until Thursday, September 1, 2022.
Course and Registration Questions:
If you have questions regarding registration or otherwise, please contact Jesse Brookstein at 608-263-4891 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.